Theatrical, Special Effects, Hair and Media Make-up Level 3 Diploma at Buxton & Leek College
This creative and challenging course will provide the opportunity to understand and experience a variety of techniques used in the world of media make-up. The units of study will include make-up for film, television, theatre, fashion, print and special occasions, using both traditional and contemporary methods. Special effects, casualty simulation, casting, sculpting, creature design, prosthetic manufacture and application may also be studied. Hair work including basic dressing, period work and postiche is also covered.
You will be creative with hair and make-up and gain skills on how to produce special affects used in theatres, TV and films. The course will open up a wide range of skills and career options. During the programme you will be able to participate in our high profiled Hair and Beauty Event working collaboratively with our professional photographers. You will have the opportunity to work alongside our experienced staff, and have access to demonstrate your skills within Derby Theatre
The course explores the skills required by the make-up designer with an emphasis on research techniques and design planning. Work experience within the industry is an integral part, with students encouraged to obtain their own work as well as being supported by opportunities that the college have access to.
You will study:
- Design and Application of Face and Body Art
- Creative Hairdressing Design Skills
- Camouflage Make-Up
- Fashion and Photographic Make-Up
- Media Make-Up
- Health and Safety
- Air Brush Make-Up Application
- Style and Fit Postiche (wigs)
- Client Care and Communication
- Apply Prosthetics and Bald Caps
- Successful completion of a Level 2/3 qualification in Hairdressing or Beauty Therapy
- GCSE grade C in English or Level 1 or 2 Functional Skills in Maths/English
- Industry experience will also be considered
- You will need to purchase a professional kit and uniform this will be discussed at interview.
Assessment is through practical observation, mood boards, assignments and a final submission of a portfolio of evidence.
You could go on to further study in Higher Education.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Buxton & Leek College directly.