Creative Writing A Level at Bridgwater College
This A-level allows progression for those who have enjoyed opportunities to write creatively at Key Stage 4. It prepares students for further study in university degrees in Creative Writing and is also suitable for those intending to progress to further study in English Literature or English Language, as well as a range of other creative subjects such as Media, Journalism, Film or Fine Art.
Creative writing complements many English based A level courses but is equally useful for any student wishing to develop their ability to express themselves in writing. Looking at a range of audiences and writing styles students learn skills that can be applied to the breadth of writing tasks encountered in the professional world of work or academia. It may be appealing to those focusing on non-English disciplines, such as science, languages and humanities.
Students will attend taught classes and workshops where they will:
- Be introduced to a range of different types of writing
- Learn to express themselves and their ideas and reflect on their intentions and outcomes
- Be introduced to the notion of writing to a brief
- Explore writers’ methods through the study of published texts
- Develop their expertise as writers by writing independently in their preferred forms
- Experience the writers’ workshop, developing their ability to share work, give and receive feedback and apply their knowledge of the writer’s craft to their own work
- Develop redrafting, editing, critical and analytical skills
You will need at least five GCSEs in A* – C range, including English Language or English Literature at grade C, or above, recommended at Higher Level.
- Written coursework – portfolio of writing and commentary
- Written examination
- Students typically move on to study at university level in several disciplines; screen-writing, poetry, creative writing, media, journalism etc.
- Students with Creative Writing A level can show discipline and writing ability which is desirable in the work place particularly related to media careers
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Bridgwater College directly.