Geology A Level at Hereford Sixth Form College
Geology is the “scientific study of the solid Earth, its rocks and processes”. It is a very varied subject which deals with the four billion years of our planet’s history. It involves the study of the most fascinating and remarkable landscapes on earth.
This involves the origin of the Earth and the solar system, space exploration, meteorites and earthquakes. It also includes the theory of plate tectonics. Finally, you study the folds, faults and rock structures produced when rocks are deformed.
The Rock Cycle
This involves studying igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic rocks. You study minerals and their identification. Also, you will study volcanic eruptions, how sedimentary rocks form in deserts, rivers, glacial environments and how intense heat and pressure alters rocks by metamorphism.
Evolution of Earth, Life and Climate
In this module, you will study how life originated and evolved. You will understand how fossils are preserved and how mass extinctions are caused. You will study dinosaurs, trilobites and ammonites. Lastly, you will learn about climate and sea level change over geological time.
This studies the practical applications of Geology, including
- How Geology affects water resources and supply.
- Energy resources including oil exploration, coal mining and geothermal power.
- Metal mineral resources, including the formation of ores, prospecting and mining.
- Engineering Geology including dams, sea defences and storage of nuclear waste.
As a minimum you need:
- Grade C in GCSE Science.
You should also:
- have a strong interest in our planet.
- enjoy being outdoors and doing fieldwork.
Geology is detective work and you will develop many investigative, observational and interpretational skills highly valued by employers and universities.
Earth scientists are in enormous demand worldwide and command excellent salaries. Geology has provided an important first step towards a well-paid, rewarding, globe-trotting career for many of our past students. It could do the same for you!
Geology is a field science and you will learn to work in remote environments. You will visit fascinating, beautiful locations to further your knowledge.
- For AS students there is a trip to Arran in Scotland.
- For A2 students there are trips to Iceland, Morocco or the Himalayas.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Hereford Sixth Form College directly.