Professional Cookery Diploma Level 3 at West Lancashire College
Our Professional Cookery courses give you the skills to become a first class chef and you will learn about all aspects of the industry.
We offer you:
• Lecturers who are industry professionals with up-to-date knowledge and who know what it takes to succeed
• The opportunity to train and work in brand new high tech real working kitchens and themed events
• The chance to enter into local and national competitions to showcase your talent.
A certain level of manual dexterity will be required for this course.
Learners will prepare and provide food and hospitality at many college events including monthly Bistro evenings, Open Events and Master Classes. They will also have the opportunity to visit other restaurants and receive training on new specialist equipment. Students also benefit from a state of the art video and broadcasting system which videos tutor demonstrations close up and broadcasts across the kitchen to large HD monitors. The Equipment was provided from the Savoy Education Trust, the hospitality industry's indepenent, charitable trust
- Supervising food safety for catering.
- Gastronomy and food culture.
- Sourcing produce for the professional kitchen.
- Advanced skills and techniques in producing vegetable and vegetarian dishes.
- Advanced skills and techniques in producing fish, meat and poultry dishes.
- Advanced skills and techniques in producing desserts, petits fours and baked decorative products.
Learners will undertake a period of work experience appropriate to your course as part of the programme of study.
Maths and English will be part of your programme of study and you will study qualifications in Maths and English, appropriate to your level of ability, alongside your chosen course.
Students should have a Level 2 Professional Cookery qualification or equivalent.
Candidate will be interviewed to assess their suitability for the course and we will be looking for an appropriate standard of English, maths & IT. We are interested in your enthusiasm and commitment to succeed.
- Due to food safety and awarding body requirements during practical sessions all students must remove all visible jewellery, including facial piercing and keep nails short and polish free.
- Wear clean chef's whites.
Have full dexterity and have a high standard of personal hygiene.
To be able to stand for long periods of time (support arrangements can be put in place if required).
Students need to be punctual in full uniform and purchase knives and text books as described by course tutor.
- Practical classes in realistic work environment
- Group based activities
- Private study
- Work experience
There are online examinations, practical tests in the kitchen and several assignments. There are also theory tests for all modules throughout the year.
Students who successfully complete the course are given support and guidance regarding potential career opportunities and further study opportunities during the course and at our annual careers and progression fairs. Any candidate achieving this qualification should be looking for employment as Chef de Partie or Junior Sous Chef.
Any candidate achieving this qualification should be looking for employment at Chef de Partie or junior sous chef.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact West Lancashire College directly.