Biology A level at Kings Langley School
The A Level Biology course builds on concepts and skills that have been developed throughout GCSE. The course is exciting, relevant and challenging. It presents essential principles in contexts that students will find interesting and emphasises the way in which scientists work and the contributions of science to modern society.
The course consists of 8 topics:
- Topic 1: Biological Molecules
- Topic 2: Cells
- Topic 3; Organisms exchange substances with their environments
- Topic 4: Genetic information, variation, and relationships between organisms
- Topic 5: Energy transfer in and between organisms
- Topic 6: Organisms respond to changes in their internal and external environments
- Topic 7: Genetics, populations, evolution and Ecosystems.
- Topic 8: The Control of gene expression.
BB in Science GCSE, including B in chosen subject and at least a B in GCSE Maths.
Written Paper 1. Any content from topics 1-4, including practical skills. 2 hours. Weighting 35%.
Written Paper 2. Any content from topics 5-8, including practical skills. 2 hours. Weighting 35%.
Written Paper 3. Any content from topics 1-8, including practical skills. 2 hours. Weighting 30%.
The course is suitable preparation for undergraduate degrees in related sciences. A strong pass in any Science A Level is highly valued by higher education establishments. Please visit your Careers Office for more information.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Kings Langley School directly.