Design and Technology: Textiles at Tarporley High School and Sixth Form College
Who would suit or enjoy the course? This course builds upon most of the GCSE technology subjects including graphics, product, electronics or textiles. It is suitable for the further study of any of these. It is suitable for anybody who wishes to study creative or technical subjects at a higher level. What is the structure of the modules and methods of assessment? We offer AQA AS and A2 Product Design which consists of two separate courses which are 3D or Textiles. AS consist of 2 units
Unit 1 is a 2 hour examination in materials and components
Unit 2 is design and practical coursework – 50 hours Each unit is worth 25% A2 consists of a further 2 units
Unit 3 is a Written exam (synoptic paper)
Unit 4 is design and practical coursework – 60 hours Each unit is worth 25% What skills are needed/involved:
* A good level of making skills in your chosen field.
* The ability to draw quite well, or understand how to read a drawing.
* The ability to conceptualize new objects and garments.
* The ability to develop your ideas to a high level.
* The ability to analyse and understand the work of others.
* The ability to understand the effects of products on society and society on the products it
* chooses to adopt.
* The desire to understand people’s needs.
Where can this subject lead me to in the future?
Product design encompasses many characteristics of the Marketing Manager, Product Manager, Fashion and Industrial Designer and Design Engineer. As a result it is as useful to the business orientated student as it is for those studying creative or engineering based courses. It is also useful for Fashion Buying, Retail and anyone who will need a high level of making skill as part of their future careers and modern apprenticeships
5A*-C GCSEs with minimum B in subject of choice
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Tarporley High School and Sixth Form College directly.