Chemistry AS & A Level at Bebington High Sports College
A Level Chemistry is a demanding course but one which can be very beneficial and helpful for future careers. It is essential for those contemplating the study of Medicine, Veterinary Science and Pharmacy as well as for several other University courses. The AQA Specification has been tailored to follow on from Additional Science and Chemistry at GCSE.
There are a total of six units in the course – three at AS and three at A2:
AS (one year):
- Unit 1: Foundation Chemistry (External assessment)
- Unit 2: Chemistry In Action (External assessment)
- Unit 3: Investigative and practical skills (Internal assessment)
A2 (one year):
- Unit 4: Kinetics, Equilibria and Organic Chemistry (External assessment)
- Unit 5: Energetics, Redox and Inorganic Chemistry (External assessment)
- Unit 6: Investigative and practical skills (Internal assessment)
5 GCSEs A*-C to include Science and Maths at B.
Four of the units are assessed by written exam. Two units assess investigative and practical skills which will be marked by school.
The aim of the course is to ensure that learning is enjoyable, and enhances a candidate’s enthusiasm for chemistry. During the course candidates will have the opportunity to develop their knowledge and understanding to provide a pathway to further study.
The concepts of ‘How Science Works’ are developed, to ensure relevance to contemporary issues.
Students who study A level Chemistry go on to study a variety of courses at University including; Chemistry, Medicine, Veterinary Science, Pharmacy, Cosmetic Science and Forensic Science to name but a few.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Bebington High Sports College directly.