Geography AS Level at The King's School, Grantham
Geography is a topical subject which intrudes constantly into our way of life and as such has a significant bearing on the modern world. Current issues of both the physical and human environment are of major concern at both the world and local scale. Issues such as global warming, flooding, and the role of migration in society all contribute to a major debate which involves geography. The subject also focuses on a wide range of key skills transferable both to further academic study and the world of work. The subject is readily studied alongside either science or arts subjects, and can be read at University in both disciplines, leading to a BA or BSc depending on the focus. Geography is eagerly accepted in the work place as being a sound subject providing analytical and practical skills appropriate to a range of careers.
- Geographical skills
- Fieldwork Projects
The school’s Published Admissions Number (PAN) is 30. This is the maximum number of places which will be available in Year 12 for candidates who have attended schools other than The King’s School in Year 11. The criteria for admission to the Sixth Form will be:
- 6 GCSE passes in different subjects at Grade B or better (to include Maths and English), with Grade B or better in at least 3 subjects to be studied at A Level;
- A viable programme of study of either 3 or more GCE AS Level subjects (excluding General Studies) or an Advanced Diploma plus one GCE AS Level subject.
If there are more applicants than places, places will be offered on the basis of overall GCSE performance calculated on a points system where A* = 58 points, A = 52 points, B = 46 points, C = 40 points, D = 34 points, E = 28 points, F = 22 points, G = 16 points, subject to the following:
- an applicant must meet the standards outlined in bullet point 1 above.
- priority will be given to candidates in the *care of the local authority.
In the event of a tie for the final place the following criterion will apply; distance from **home to school measured in a straight line by Microsoft MapPoint software between the post office address point of the home and the post office address point of the school.
If there are more applicants than places available in a particular AS Level subject, places in that subject will be allocated according to the following criteria in the order shown:
- GCSE grade in that subject (where applicable);
- Overall GCSE score (in terms of average points per subject entry).
- Globalisation and Coasts - Exam question
- Regeneration - Exam question
- Tectonics - Exam question
Stationary, atlas, pencil crayons
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The King's School, Grantham directly.