Nutrition for the Elderly 1-Day - Short Course at Acacia Training
To provide an up-to-date awareness of the nutritional requirements of older people in a care environment, through assessing, monitoring and improving nutritional uptake. Candidates will develop a deeper understanding of the main food groups, individual nutritional needs, suitable diets and the links between health and nutritional status, and will experience and evaluate assisted feedingWho Should Apply:
All staff working within an elderly care environment.
By the end of the course, participants will be able:
Identify why and how older people become malnourished
• Understand the key food groups and the important roles they play in maintaining health
• Recognise and encourage good hydration
• Use the MUST screening tool with case studies
• Recognise the need for appropriate diets i.e. purees, soft foods and finger foods
• State methods of increasing calorie density in food and drink
• Learn from the shared experiences of assisted feeding and tasting exercises
Evaluate the importance of communication and team work, along with the correct documentation, in supporting those at risk of malnutrition
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Acacia Training directly.