Music BTEC level 3 at Central Lancaster High School
We believe that every child has ability in the performing arts. We harness that creativity and provide amazing performance opportunities for our students to excel.
Unit 23 – Music Performance Techniques (Core unit)
- This unit develops the learners’ music performance skills and techniques. Pupils are expected to work both individually and as part of an ensemble.
Unit 7- Composing Music
- Learners have the opportunity to compose music for a number of different events using standard notation as well as other appropriate formats.
Unit 43- Special Subject Investigation
- This unit gives learners the opportunity to carry out an in-depth and practical investigation into a chosen area of interest.
Unit 40 – Working and Developing as a Musical Ensemble (Specialist Unit)
- Learners work as part of an ensemble towards a final performance. They must show good music performance techniques as well as the ability to work effectively as part of a group.
Unit 24- Music Project
- In this unit learners are expected to plan, prepare for and deliver a large-scale music project. Pupils will work individually and as part of a team and will be expected to assess their progress.
Unit 30- Pop Music in Practice
- During this unit pupils with expand their knowledge of pop music through rehearsal and performance of existing pieces and their own compositions.
Normal entry expectation for level 3 courses is 5 GCSE A* to C grades.
Termly shows include annual events such as the Carol Concert, Spotlight showcase, school musicals, drama plays and music evening. School shows are performed in our hall which doubles as a well-equipped theatre space and our drama ‘black box’ studio with built in lighting rig.
We are also very proud that we have performed at local theatres including The Dukes and Lancaster Grand Theatre and landmark theatres including Sadler’s Wells (2013) and The Royal Albert Hall (2014 and 2016). In 2014 we also performed at Lancaster Castle.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Central Lancaster High School directly.