German AS/A2 at Lawrence Sheriff School
As the world gets smaller, Britain plays its part in the
EU, holidaymakers travel the world and businesses
become increasingly international, there has never
been such an important time in our history to study
a foreign language in depth. We aim to open your
mind to the fascinating aspects of the language, life
and times of Germany and its people. Full course
content can be found on the AQA website.
You can expect to:
• Read and understand authentic texts.
• Listen to and comprehend the spoken language.
• Understand the key social and cultural aspects of
• Express ideas and opinions about key modern issues in
• Write extended essays.
• Talk about important issues in German.
• Study German film and Literature in greater depth in
the second year.
Grade B or above in GCSE German.
Where does it lead?
Languages can be used these days in almost all areas of
the working world; business, finance, teaching, translation,
retail, civil service and international organisations. Many
university courses can also be combined with a language
to give you that extra edge to your qualification.
Other useful information
• Students are encouraged to take part in a 4-day
cultural visit to Germany (varies from year to year).
Cost to be advised.
• Text books used are “Zeitgeist 1” in Year 12 and
“Zeitgeist 2” in Year 13.
• You will need to purchase a dictionary suitable for
study at this level. You will receive information about
this in your first AS lesson.
Students’ views …
‘‘It was a far more relaxed atmosphere at AS than at
GCSE and we do much more interesting activities.’’
‘‘I enjoy the challenge of becoming increasingly fluent
in German and speaking German in creative contexts.’’
‘‘Small class sizes mean that we can get individual help
‘‘I like the fact that we go into the Language lab
every week and get to work more independently.’’
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Lawrence Sheriff School directly.