Accessibility links

Applied Science BTEC Level 3 National Award at William Howard School

Course description

BTEC Level 3 Certificate/ Extended Certificate in Applied Science

The Certificate is equivalent to one AS Level. The Extended Certificate is equivalent to one A-Level.

The qualification will give an understanding of the essential skills and attitudes to begin a professional career or move on to Further Education. The course consists of three core units plus one specialist unit (to total 360 guided learning hours).

Course content

Certificate in Applied Science:

1. Principles and Applications of Science I

    This is externally assessed through examination. (50% of award)

2. Practical Scientific Procedures and Techniques

    This is assessed through internal coursework. (50% of award)


Extended Certificate in Applied Science:

This includes study of the above units with the addition of:

3. Science Investigation Skills

4. An optional unit set to suit students.

The course is assessed through examinations totalling 58% of the final award with the remaining 42% assessed through internal coursework.

Future opportunities

With the international recognition of BTEC courses such as this, you can progress straight into employment. If successful there are a wide variety of prospective careers that you can explore, for example: medical physicist, medical laboratory assistant or chemist.

The BTEC National Award in Applied Science has the equivalence of one GCE A Level, and it is possible for you to progress into Further or Higher Education, as successful BTEC National qualifications give UCAS points for university applications.

Many of our students have gone on to university to study science based subjects such as nursing, forensic science and food technology.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact William Howard School directly.

Last updated date: 21 October 2016
Provider logo

Key information