Drama and Theatre A Level at Beacon Academy (Beacon Community College)
A Level Drama and Theatre is a practical performance based course aimed at developing your specialist performance skill and giving you a range of performance opportunities reflecting 21st century theatre practise. You learn by completing 3 clear components, devising, performing or designing skills and the practical exploration of texts to interpret for. A Levels are a respected and accepted entry qualifications for Higher Education both at University and Specialist Music and Drama Colleges
Drama and Theatre
A Level Drama and theatre studies consists of two coursework components and one externally examined paper. The course is made up of overall components.
COMPONENT 1: Devising – 40 % of the qualification.
· Devise an original performance piece.
· Use one Key extract from a performance text and a theatre practitioner as stimuli.
· Performer or designer roles available.
There are two parts to the assessment process:
· A portfolio of evidence
· Practical devised performance OR Design realisation.
COMPONENT 2: Text in performance – 20% of the qualification.
· Perform in a group/ create a design realisation of one key extract from a text.
· Perform a monologue or duologue performance OR design realisation from an extract.
Assessment: externally assessed by a visiting examiner.
COMPONENET 3: Theatre makers in practise – 40% of the qualification.
· Evaluate a live piece of performance.
· Practical exploration of a complete text.
· Practitioner based exploration of a text suitable for a contemporary audience.
- Live theatre evaluation
- Paper requiring extended response of students based on an unseen extract from a studied text
Assessment: 1 one minute solo and 1 five minute group performance
ENTRY REQUIREMENTS TO BOTH COURSES:
GCSE Grade C or above
BTEC Merit or above
If you have neither of these, but have experience in performing please speak to the course tutor.
The most important requirements are energy, and commitment to performance and teamwork.
Progression : A Level Drama and Theatre qualifications are idea for students wanting to work in the areas of: Performing Arts, Teaching, Politics, Social Work, Psychology or for wanting to show diversity, creativity, communication and teamwork skills in their UCAS or work applications.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Beacon Academy (Beacon Community College) directly.