Physical Education A-Level at Churchill Academy and Sixth Form
A Level specifications in Physical Education should equip students with both a depth and breadth of knowledge, understanding and skills relating to scientific, socio-cultural and practical aspects of physical education.
This will require Students to:
- Develop theoretical knowledge and understanding of the factors that underpin physical activity and sport and use this knowledge to improve performance
- Understand how physiological and psychological states affect performance
- Understand the key socio-cultural factors that influence people’s involvement in physical activity and sport
- Understand the role of technology in physical activity and sport
- Refine their ability to perform effectively in physical activity and sport by developing skills and techniques and selecting and using tactics, strategies and/or compositional ideas
- Develop their ability to analyse and evaluate to improve performance
- Understand the contribution which physical activity makes to health and fitness
- Improve as effective and independent learners and as critical and reflective thinkers with curious and enquiring minds
- Applied anatomy and physiology
- Skill acquisition
- Sport and society
- Biomechanical movement
- Sport psychology
- Sport and society and the role of technology in physical activity and sport
5 A* - C at GCSE
B&B in GCSE Science
(BTEC or GCSE PE desireable)
Former students of this subject have gone to study at some of the UK’s top universities. They are reading exciting and challenging degree programmes such as Sports Equipment Product Design, Sport Psychology, Sports Management, Biomedical Sciences and Primary Education with QTS. Jobs include: Sports coaching, Sports development, Facilities management/ operations, Sports science/nutrition, National governing bodies, Academic/ lecture/teaching, Sports marketing/ broadcasting/journalism and Events.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Churchill Academy and Sixth Form directly.