English Literature - A Level at Hanley Castle High School
This course will appeal to students who:
- have an interest in reading a wide variety of literature from the past and present
- enjoy expressing their opinions and justifying their comments on texts, both in discussion and in writing
- enjoy studying a subject which relates to their own lives and experiences
- enjoy studying texts which will broaden and extend their ideas about people and the world
- enjoy the quality of language and complexity of ideas to be found in great literature
- want to keep their options open for further study – English Literature is a popular qualification for a wide range of courses in higher education or for future careers.
A minimum of grade C at GCSE in English Language and in English Literature, preferably with a grade B in English Literature, and strong recommendation from your current English teacher.
The key areas of learning – the representation of place, point of view and genre in prose, the forms and functions of poetic voice, the role of the individual in society, conflict in drama, creative transformations of texts, researching and writing – will effectively engage A level students from a wide ability range and help them to develop the key critical, creative and analytical skills required both for progression to higher education and for enhanced employability.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Hanley Castle High School directly.