Philosophy *FEES PAYABLE* at Hurstpierpoint College
Pre U Philosophy and Theology
The Philosophy and Theology course is intended to allow students to think rigorously about fundamental questions of truth and human understanding. It is also intended to introduce students to the academic study of both Philosophy and Theology. This will be undertaken by having a compulsory paper which introduces the common elements of these two disciplines.
Optional papers will then allow students to investigate a range of philosophical and/or theological questions. Through an exploration of these issues, together with a detailed study of some of the texts which have influenced the western intellectual heritage, students will be prepared for the study of Philosophy and Theology at university, or any other subject which requires rigorous thinking and analysis of complex ideas. All the exams are taken at the end of the two-year course. Such a linear approach is ideally suited to a subject of this kind, since it gives candidates the opportunity to develop a full and mature understanding of the topics.
- Analysing and evaluating the views of others and substantiating one’s own
- Being challenged to seek answers to the mysteries of life and death
- Looking at such issues as ‘Does God exist?’ and ‘What happens when we die?’
- Testing the views of others, including scholars, challenging the evidence and the testimonies
- Being aware of the historical, social and cultural influences on the way ideas have developed and of how the past influences the future
- Facing the challenge of exploring questions that have no answers
Lessons in Philosophy and Theology are planned to encourage students to do the following:
- Investigate, study and interpret significant religious, philosophical and ethical issues
- Think rigorously and present widely informed and detailed arguments with well-substantiated conclusions
- Reflect on, express and justify their opinions
- Relate their study to issues in the wider world
- Know and understand key concepts
Ideally, students should have an A*grade in English Language and Mathematics or a minimum of an A* in one and an A in the other.
Fees may be charged for this course
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Hurstpierpoint College directly.