Tottenham Hotspur Football Academy BTEC Level 2 Diploma in Sport at Hertford Regional College
This sports course is unique to any other sports course available at HRC. Through partnership with Tottenham Hotspurs FC and HRC successful applicants will be part of an elite football programme and learners will be provided with coaching from highly qualified and experienced coaches to push performers to the top of their ability. This highly competitive practical programme will be coupled with a Level 2 programme of study to prepare learners for the world beyond Further Education.
Over the course of your college week you will be completing a professionally structured training programme with formal league matches. This practical aspect of the course will give you valuable experience within a disciplined academy set-up structured to replicate environments participants could progress to post course.
The BTEC side of the course will follow the 90 credit diploma with planned progression onto the Extended Diploma in Sport (Performance and Excellence). Learners will study units specifically selected to educate participants with football related content. Units will reflect stages within the football season e.g. pre-season fitness testing and end of season performance analysis.
Trips, visits and enrichment will include involvement in squad games participating in an elite midweek league. Other activities will include vocational guest speakers and use of off-site training facilities.
- You will need a minimum of 136 GCSE entry points, or a Level 1 Diploma, including Maths and English at Grade D
- Successful completion of the six week pre-season programme (August-September)
- Official invite to apply following trial appearance
- Sporting performance reference provided by a previous teacher, coach or manager
- Academic reference from a previous educational provider
- Tuition fees may apply if you are 19 years or over on August 31st
Assessment will be both formative and summative, with practical assessment being continuous throughout the academic year. Learners will be assessed on both academic ability and practical performance in fitness testing and sporting performance. Learners must be prepared to maintain a strong academic record as this is considered equally as important as the learners’ ability to perform on the training ground.
You will be assessed continually using a range of different activities; these will include practical activities, sporting performance, group and individual presentations, displays, discussions, written reports and case studies.
The majority of assessment will be related to personal performance whilst participating in football squad events (games, training and performance).
Free to those under 19 on 31st August 2016. If you are 19 or over on 31st August 2016, have been a permanent resident in the EU for the last three years, and are a fee paying new entrant you will pay £1500 tuition fee (this was the fee for 2015/16 and could be subject to change for 2016/17). However, fee paying students continuing on the same course for a second year will be charged £1500 tuition fee (this was the fee for 2015/16 and could be subject to change for 2016/17). You will be required to pay an administration fee, exam fees, kit fee, materials fee and an Awarding Body Registration fee if applicable. For these costs please contact our Information Centre.Additional Costs
£220 kit fee. (This was the fee for 2015/16 and could be subject to change for 2016/17)
Successful learners will gain valuable qualifications and experience on completion of this course. The course will enable learners to take the right steps towards a career in elite sporting performance as either a player or part of the staff creating opportunities for sporting success. Learners will be able to use coaching badges and experiences following a structured sports programme to allow them move into Higher Education Sports courses or work with promising young elite performers.
With progression onto the second year learners will study the BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Football or Sport Science. There are also opportunities to progress into employment in areas such as sports coaching, sports development, leisure centre management, health promotion and coaching.
Learners will be given the opportunity to take part in a showcase game in front of coaches from Universities (UK/USA) with a view to gaining scholarships (partly/fully funded).
- Chosen squad to compete in midweek British College Leagues
- Completion of a FA Level 1 Coaching Certificate and opportunities to gain qualifications in other football specific coaching certificates
- FA First Aid Award
- FA Safeguarding Award
- Workshop sessions in a football related environment
- Visits to elite academy sites
- Access to training facilities five days a week
- Opportunities to follow individual training development programmes
- Opportunities to attend matches at THFC
- Training ground visits to Spurs Lodge
- Industry talks from professionals
- A trip abroad
What will I need?
- Football performance scheme training kit and Kit bag
- Football boots (both moulded stud and screw in stud)
- Shin pads
- USB storage device
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Hertford Regional College directly.