Further Mathematics A Level at Pimlico Academy
- Broaden and deepen the mathematics covered in AS/A Mathematics.
- Explore new more sophisticated mathematical concepts.
- Make an easier transition to a mathematics-rich university course.
- Distinguish themselves as able mathematicians in the university and employment market.
- Have an added advantage when applying to Science & Engineering courses at university.
AS level Further Mathematics is designed to be learnt alongside AS level Mathematics in year 12, or taken up as a new AS subject alongside A2 Mathematics in year 13.
Like the Maths A-level, the course will comprise of 6 modules, assessed through examination:
- Year 12 AS level: FP1, D1, S1 (and therefore M2 will make up the third module of A2 Maths)
- Year 13 A2 level: FP2, FP3, S2
FP1 Complex numbers; numerical methods, series; proof by induction; matrices; coordinate systems
FP2 Inequalities; series; further complex numbers; first and second order differential equations; Maclaurin and Taylor series; polar coordinates
FP3 Hyperbolic functions; further coordinate systems; differentiation; integration; vectors; further matrix algebra
S1 Mathematical models in probability and statistics; representation and summary of data; probability; correlation and regression; discrete random variables and distributions; the Normal distribution.
S2 Binomial distribution; Poisson distribution; continuous random variables; continuous uniform distribution; normal approximations; population and samples; sampling; hypothesis testing
D1 Algorithms; algorithms on graphs; the route inspection problem; critical path analysis; linear programming; matchings
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Pimlico Academy directly.