Psychology A-Level at George Salter Academy
Psychology is the scientific study of all forms of human and animal behaviour. Whether for interest or for a career, the knowledge and skills students gain by completing the course will change the way they live their lives forever.
Progression routes from this course
There are various fields of Psychology which you could enter, such as clinical, educational, health and forensic Psychology. However, if you want to enter another field, psychological knowledge can be applied to many other careers such as marketing and recruitment, social work, teaching, child care and many more.
• Cognitive Psychology. How do you remember?
• Developmental Psychology. How do we form attachments with different people?
• Research Methods. How can we design and conduct research in Psychology?
• Biological Psychology. How does your body react to stress?
• Individual Differences. What causes abnormality?
• Social Psychology. Why do we obey authority? Why do we conform?
Three topics from a range offered including: Relationships; Aggression; Learning and Intelligence; Cognition and Development; Biological Rhythms and Sleep.
Psychopathology: knowledge and understanding of models, classification, diagnosis and therapies in relation to a disorder chosen from schizophrenia, depression or anxiety disorder.
Psychology In Action: one applied contemporary issue such as media Psychology, addiction or anomalistic Psychology.
Psychological Research and Scientific Method.
You will complete two 1 hr 30 min examinations over the first year.
At least a grade C or above in English, Mathematics and Science.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact George Salter Academy directly.