Accessibility links

Drama - GCSE and BTEC at Lincoln Castle Academy

Course description

Assessment details:

Assessment of practical work is continuous over the duration of this 2 year course. However, there will be 2 controlled assessments (one in Year 10 and one in Year 11) which will count for 60% of a student's final grade and a written examination which will count for the remaining 40% of a student's final grade.

Topics covered in the course:

Unit 1: Drama Written Paper

You will have to sit a written examination as part of this drama course which will count to 40% of your final mark. The Written Paper is 1 hour and 30 minutes and comprises three sections:

A – practical work completed on the course

B – Study and performance of a scripted play

C – Study of a live theatre production seen

Unit 2: Practical Work

You will have the opportunity to study a range of different theatre practitioners and drama techniques through a series of practical workshops. Alongside of this, you will have to perform a character role, within a group in at least two controlled assessment options from the list below. This will count for 60% of your final mark.

·

Devised Thematic Work · Acting · Study and performance of a scripted play

Why you should choose this subject:

If you are keen to study for a career in Performing Arts or simply want to improve your skills in communication then this course is the one for you. Studying GCSE Drama will give you the opportunity to develop and improve your ability to communicate with an audience, learn how to explore a script, idea or theme through a series of investigative and practical workshops and teach you how to bring a character to life from page to stage.

Learning will take place both in and out of the Performing Arts Suite. There is a strong emphasis on developing practical skills, visiting local & national theatre companies and many opportunities to see drama in action.

Students who receive a C grade or above at GCSE may want to further their studies in Drama by choosing the AS/A2 Drama and Theatre Studies course as a Post 16 option.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Lincoln Castle Academy directly.

Last updated date: 15 July 2014

Key information

  • Start date: Next September
  • Duration: 2 years

Venues