*History GCSE (One Year) at The Westwood Academy (West Coventry Sixth Form)
History teaches pupils to investigate, evaluate and draw conclusions from evidence, which are valuable skills to acquire for life in the future. The subject is well resourced and has produced an excellent level of performance in the GCSE examinations. History is a subject which complements Geography, RE and Business Studies.
The course provides a varied experience of issues within History and will include the use of video/DVD, computers and the opportunity to carry out field work out of school.
Four Core Modules
Hawkesbury Junction (Coursework Unit)
Opportunity to visit an historical site in Coventry and analyse its significance to the city.
The Irish Conflict (Coursework Unit)
- A study of the violence that occurred in Ireland between 1960 - 1990s
- How religion played a role in causing problems
Nazi Germany (Exam Topic)
- The role of Hitler in turning Germany into a violent dictatorship
- How children, men and women were affected by Hitler
Medicine Through Time (Exam Topic)
- How different cultures throughout history dealt with the problem of medicine
- The periods studied are pre-history, Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, the Middle Ages, the Renaissance period, the Industrial Revolution and the 20 th /21 st Centuries.
COURSEWORK: 25% Two assignments
EXAMINATION: 75% Two papers - Medicine Through Time and Germany 1919 - 1945
DEADLINES:Two coursework assignments spread over the two years of the course.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Westwood Academy (West Coventry Sixth Form) directly.