Computer Science - AS/A Level at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai
Are you interested in learning computer programming and gaining an advanced understanding of computer systems? This course will provide opportunities for you to develop computer software in an industry-standard programming language such as Java, as well as internet web pages and databases. It will introduce you to the technical aspects of computer systems hardware and networking. The course can prepare you for studying Computer Science at Higher Education level. It can also be valuable preparation for a career which involves computing, for example: in science, technology, business or the media.
More detailed information on Units is to be found in the Additional Campus/Course information.
The course can be taken as part of a full-time programme of study, in conjunction with other AS/A Level subjects, or possibly with vocational Level 3 qualifications. Our staff will be happy to help you put together a programme most suited to your needs. The course can also be taken on a part-time basis by mature students.
The course is delivered through a blend of the following:
- Classroom learning
- Practical programming and computer hardware workshop sessions
- Computing case studies
- Individual student projects.
- 5 GCSEs grade C or above to include Mathematics and English or Welsh (1st language). Specific additional entry requirements will be discussed with you at interview.
- Consideration will be given to mature students without recognised qualifications
- Entry onto the full A Level is based on your performance at AS Level
- Students must have a strong interest in Computing and be willing to undertake practical programming projects in the subject.
All places are subject to satisfactory interview.
Year 1 of the course is assessed by two external examinations in June:
- A theory paper, covering aspects of computer systems and programming
- A practical examination, in which students will carry out a programming task.
Year 2 of the course is assessed by:
- A theory paper, taken in June, covering more advanced aspects of computer systems and programming
- A practical programming project which is submitted in May. The project topic will be selected by the student in consultation with their tutor.
Whether you gain the full A Level or just the AS Level, the course adds to your qualifications and helps you to progress. You will gain UCAS points and be able to apply for a range of Higher Education courses at many institutions, including Grŵp Llandrillo Menai. This includes degrees in Computer Science and related subjects, as well as many other options.
The course is good preparation for a range of undergraduate courses, whilst the skills acquired can also benefit students seeking employment. The course provides numerous opportunities for you to develop and apply key skills, as well as developing your attitudes, perceptions and values in a subject with high relevance to everyday life.Career opportunities
- University level course such as a Foundation or Honours Degree
- Continue with studies with a work-based qualification at the college
This programme is available bilingually at the following campus(es):
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Grŵp Llandrillo Menai directly.