English Literature A Level at St Augustine's CE High School
- Encourage the development of critical awareness and understanding of individual works of literature.
- Develop understanding of relationships between texts and of the significance of cultural and contextual influences on readers and writers.
- Target the core skills every literature student needs to explore and understand a wide range of texts.
- Allow students, within the A Level non-examined assessment component, to pursue more detailed study in a field of particular personal interest.
- Develop the valuable transferable skills of sustained research and composition.
Our AS and A Level English Literature courses are designed to build on what students already know from GCSE.
- Component 1: Written paper worth 60 marks, using a closed text. The exam is 2 hours and 30 minutes in length. 40% of total A Level
- Component 2: Written paper worth 60 marks, using a closed text. The exam is 2 hours and 30 minutes in length. 40% of total A Level
- Component 3: Non examined assessment/ Coursework worth 40 marks and 20% of total A Level
Most A Level students go on to enjoy a university followed by a related career, most notably in the Arts (Languages, Literature, Journalism, Writing etc.). The in depth study, interpretation and analytical skills developed on the course helps students in a wide breadth of academic fields.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Augustine's CE High School directly.