Product Design - Graphic with Materials AS/A Level at The College of Richard Collyer
The nature of the units for this award are intended to encourage students to be independent learners from the outset. The starting point for the exam-based units is in the research of existing products and design styles. This is also required for the coursework projects that are undertaken in the Autumn/Spring terms of both the first and second year. Students are expected to find out about and critically analyse: materials, processes, components and systems in order to make choices for the production of their own designs.
The Spring term is a combination of producing practical outcomes in the workshop along with theoretical work to prepare for the written exams in the Summer term.
Students can expect a variety of learning experiences during the course including:
- Group activities and presentations
- Intense workshops in specific skills e.g. CAD. 3D Printing etc
- Practical experience for realisation of products where the students will build upon their existing manufacturing skills
- Independent and homework activities in the Autumn term centre round the production of the coursework design folder with phased deadlines for each criterion. In the Spring and Summer term independent work will be concerned with reinforcing knowledge, and gaining exam and study skills
- Regular assessments will be followed up with ‘one to one’ feedback on progress where targets will be set for future assessments
Students will be expected to have extensive evidence of the use of ICT in their work and Collyer’s is well placed to support them in this.
C grades in GCSE Maths and English and a keen interest in Design. GSCE in DT is not an essential requirement for entry onto the course.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The College of Richard Collyer directly.