Photography Lens-Based and Light-Based Media AS level at Nottingham Girl's Academy
Photography is an enjoyable, but challenging subject that helps you develop new skills in a range of photographic media, techniques and processes. You will experience both traditional photography and new technologies. You will explore relevant images, artefacts and resources relating to photography and a wider range of art and design, from the past and from recent times, including European and nonEuropean examples.
You will be encouraged to work independently, problem solve, learn new skills and create an exhibition of your work.
Components covered at AS
Component 1: Portfolio
Students are required to work in one or more area(s) of photography, such as those listed below. They may explore overlapping areas and combinations of areas.
- landscape photography (working from the urban, rural and/or coastal environment).
- still-life photography, working from objects or from the natural world.
- documentary photography, photo journalism.
- experimental imagery.
- photographic installation, video, television and film.
Component 2: Externally set assignment
- AQA provide a question paper with 5 starting points from which one is selected.
- Following a period of preparatory work there are 10 hours of unaided supervised time.
5+ A* to C grades at GCSE including C grade or above in English and art.
- Verbal feedback given in lessons.
- Written feedback recorded in student course booklets for component 1.
- Interim marks given at 2 points during the first component.
- Component 1 marked by teaching staff at end January.
- Component 2 marked by teaching staff at end of May.
The course is designed as a stepping stone to the many courses and careers that are available in the Art and Design industry. Foundation course (one year duration) Degree course in chosen area of study e.g. photography, portraiture, photo journalism, fashion photography, architecture.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Nottingham Girl's Academy directly.