Level 3 Diploma in Food Science and Nutrition at Tapton School
Please see course content.
Level 3 Food Science and Nutrition is available as a Certificate and a Diploma (both of which offer UCAS points)
In Y12, Level 3 Certificate Outline:
- Unit 1 Meeting Nutritional Needs of Specific Groups. This unit focuses on the importance of food safety, properties of nutrients, the relationship between nutrients and the human body and being able to plan nutritional requirements. All learners will be expected to create a coursework portfolio, which is to be used as a specific resource.
Y13, Level 3 Diploma Outline:
Three units must be completed over the two year programme (one unit completed in Y12)
- Unit 2 - Ensuring Food is Safe to Eat. This is a mandatory unit and will be externally assessed but completed in 8 hours of lesson time under exam conditions (approximately around May/June). Students will have to respond to a scenario set by the exam board, through a written report and practical application.
- Unit 3 - Experimenting to Solve Food Production Problems. this is an optional unit which is internally assessed but completed in 12 hours of lesson time under exam conditions (work sample to be submitted for moderation by 15th May) Candidates will have to respond to tasks set by the exam board through written and practical application.
- Unit 4 - Current Issues in Food Science and Nutrition. This is an optional unit which is internally assessed but complted in 14 hours of lesson time under exam conditions (work to be submitted for moderation by 15th May). Candidates will have to investigate current consumer food choices through independent or group project work.
4 in Science subjects and 4 in English Language.
A Pass is needed in the first year in order to progress to the second year.
50% External Assessment - set by the examination board. One 90 minute external examination graded Level 3 pass, Merit and Distinction.
50% Internal Assessment - the outcomes of internal assessment will be externally moderated.
Success at Y12 level 3 Certificate could lead to further study at Y13 Level 3 Diploma.
Three units must be completed over the two year programme. Please see course content. There are two external assessments and two internal assessments.
Both assessments for Unit 1 must be completed in Y12 if learners want to cash in for a certificate and not continue to Y13.
The examination taken in Y12 can be a resit in Y13 if required.
Unit record sheets must accompany work and teacher annotation is needed to confirm marking.
An understanding of food science and nutrition is relevant to many industries and job roles. Care providers and nutritionists is hospitals use this knowledge, as do sports coaches and fitness instructors. Hotels and restaurants, food manufacturers and government agencies also use this understanding to develop menus, food products and policies that support healthy eating initiatives. Many employment opportunities within the field of food science and nutrition are available to graduates. Learners will gain the required knowledge to be able to use the qualification to support entry to higher education courses such as:
- BSc Food and Nutrition
- BSc Human Nutrition
- BSc (Hons) Public Health Nutrition
- BSc (Hons) Food Science and Technology
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.