Religious Studies, Philosophy and Ethics A Level at Rainford High Technology College
A Level Religious Studies course aims to thoroughly engage learners and develop an interest in Religious Studies, Philosophical and Ethical issues which extends beyond the classroom and can be applied to the world around them. It will involve finding out about issues that affect us all, learning about issues that are constantly in the news, looking at topics that really make you think and being able to say what you think!
Teaching groups tend to be between eight and sixteen in number, and the course is taught through a range of teaching and learning strategies.
The strategies include:
- Group and class discussions focused on philosophical and ethical issues.
- Teacher-led presentations and student-led presentations.
- Use of video and film to explore ethical issues such as Erin Brockovich for understanding environmental and business ethics.
- Independent study through the use of workbooks. Note taking, independent reading and the exploration of ethical case studies.
- Past exam papers and essay writing workshops. Outside speakers.
Due to the exam being essay based it is desirable that you have achieved at least a grade C in English Literature and a grade C in English Language at GCSE.
A Level in Religious Studies learners will study three components that are each externally assessed, these are:
- Religion and ethics
- Developments in religious thought – Christianity
- Philosophy of religion
These exams will take the form of an externally assessed written paper lasting two hours and testing your subject knowledge and analysis and evaluation skills in an essay based exam.
This qualification is designed to nurture the development of critical and reflective thinking. Emphasis is placed on critical analysis and the construction of balanced, informed arguments within the context of a religious, philosophical and ethical awareness. These skills are all essential for many careers. An A Level in Religious Studies is useful in the following professions:
- Media work – news, television etc.
- Social care
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Rainford High Technology College directly.