Music (90 Credit) L3 Diploma at North Lindsey College
The Level 3 (90 Credit) Diploma in Music is equivalent to 3 AS Levels and will be
taught over one year. This qualification gives learners the opportunity to study popular music within a broad musical curriculum. Learners will develop musical skills for both the workplace and higher education covering a wide range of units such as popular
music in practice, music performance techniques, solo performance, the music industry, music theory and composing.
This is a highly practical and creative course introducing students to the varied aspects of the contemporary music industry including performance skills and creative work.
In the Level 3 (90 Credit) Diploma you will cover a range of practical and theoretical
units such as:
- Music Performance Session Styles: The unit provides an opportunity for learners to engage with performances of different styles and genres in the same way that a session musician would be employed to perform a range of music.
- Solo Music Performance Skills: This unit allows the learner to develop the specific skills required to be a successful solo performer. Learners learn to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of their preparatory work and performances.
- Working & Developing as a Musical Ensemble: This practical unit explores the nature of ensemble work by allowing learners to become part of a musical ensemble concentrating on the process of a team working together to produce a musically and artistically satisfying result.
- Music Improvisation: This is a practical-based unit in which you will develop your music improvisation performance skills in a range of different styles including jazz, rock and blues.
- Pop Music in Practice: In this unit you will develop your understanding of a range of popular music styles from the nineteen fifties to the present-day through practical performance and listening analysis
- Live Music Workshop: This is a creative unit in which you will work as a member of a group writing original songs and creating extended pieces of music on given themes
- Students who do not have a GCSE grade C or above in English and /or Maths will be required to study these subjects as part of their programme of study.
- A minimum of 5 GCSE grades A* to C including English and Maths
- plus a suitable level of performance ability to be demonstrated at interview
- or successful achievement of a Level 2 Diploma course in Music where personal targets have been met
- Mature students are welcome and entry requirements may be flexible.
Your progress will be measured in a number of ways including practical projects, written
assignments and internal assessment throughout the course. You will receive information about this through verbal feedback and written feedback from an assignment or project, and grading of your work. There are no exams and assessment is continual, however
you may be expected to present work to an external verifier from the examining body.
Functional skills and GCSEs are assessed with an examination.
Learners who successfully complete the 9 unit Level 3 (90 Credit) Diploma are eligible
to apply to the Extended Diploma which will require an additional year of study. Some students may wish to seek employment.
Learners studying on any of the Level 3 Music courses also gain transferable skills such as good communication skills, confidence and strong teamwork skills, which are required in most areas of employment or on any other course.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact North Lindsey College directly.