Physics AQA A Level (Linear) at Poynton High School
- Measurements and their errors • Particles and radiation • Waves • Mechanics and materials
- Plus: Practical Skills and Data analysis
- Periodic motion • Thermal Physics • Fields and their consequences • Nuclear physics
- One option (tbc) from:
- Astrophysics • Medical physics • Engineering physics • Turning points in physics
- 5 grade Cs or above at GCSE level including a BB or above in Core and Additional Science or a B in GCSE Physics and one other science subject. (Higher level examination papers must have been taken in this subject.)
- You must also be continuing your study of Mathematics in the Sixth Form. Additionally it is advisable that you have achieved a B grade in Mathematics GCSE.
- Unit 1 (1.5 hours) (50% AS) – all 5 topics (see below)
- Unit 2 (1.5 hours) (50% AS) – Practical skills and Data analysis, including knowledge of Paper 1
- Unit 1(2 hours) (34% A2) – all 5 AS topics, plus Periodic motion
- Unit 2 (2 hours) (34% A2) – Thermal Physics, Fields and Nuclear Physics, including knowledge of Paper 1
- Unit 3 (2 hours) (32% A2) – Practical skills, Data analysis, plus one of the optional topics
Students go on to study a wide range of subjects at university having studied physics at A level. In recent years, their physics qualification has enabled them to access courses in Mechanical Engineering, Automotive Engineering, Natural Sciences, Aviation Technology.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Poynton High School directly.