Dance at Longcroft School
At AS Level the specification will focus on the development and performance of own choreography and performing within a duo/ trio. Candidates will receive training on technique and health and safety of the dancer. They will begin to develop critical skills for the analysis of choreography and performance within their own work and in professional repertoire.
Unit 1: Understanding Dance: This is assessed by a written paper of 1 hour and 30 minutes (40% of the AS mark)
- The dancer as performer: knowledge and understanding of the demands made in practice and performance on the dancer
- The process and craft of choreography
- The significance of dances.
Unit 2: Choreography and Performance: This is assessed practically (1 choreography question set by the board and a duet or trio choreographed collaboratively)
- The process of solo choreography from investigation and research of ideas through to outcome
- Physical and interpretative skills in relation to performance of the solo choreography
- Performance skills within the duo/ trio performance context
Unit 3: Appreciation Content and Context: This is assessed through a written paper of 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Investigating one area of study from: ballet, modern dance or jazz dance
- Critical analysis and appreciation of one set work from a choice of three
Unit 4: Group Choreography and Solo Performance - Practical
- Group choreography from investigation and research ideas through to outcome
- Solo performance skills in relation to a specific practitioner within a specific area of dance study prescribed for Unit 3.
Students wishing to join this course should normally have achieved GCSE grades A* -C in five subjects, including English and Dance.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Longcroft School directly.