Further Mathematics A Level at Saltash.net Community School
Further mathematics is designed for students with an enthusiasm for mathematics and gives an opportunity for those good at mathematics to develop their abilities and to study techniques and methods which have wide-ranging applications in engineering, the sciences and economics. It also gives students an opportunity to gain another highly valued A level grade. The level of mathematical activity is not always harder. This subject develops some topics fully whilst looking at new topics not covered in A level Mathematics.
You will study
• Complex numbers
• Further algebra and functions
• Further calculus
• Further vectors
• Polar coordinates
• Hyperbolic functions
• Differential equations
You will learn to
- Use mathematical knowledge to make logical and reasoned decisions in solving problems both within pure mathematics and in a variety of contexts, and communicate the mathematical rationale for these decisions clearly
- Understand coherence and progression in mathematics and how different areas of mathematics are connected
- Reason logically and recognise incorrect reasoning
- Generalise mathematically and construct mathematical proofs
- Use mathematical skills and techniques to solve challenging problems
- Represent situations mathematically and understand the relationship between problems in context and mathematical models that may be applied to solve them
- Draw diagrams and sketch graphs to help explore mathematical situations and interpret solutions
- Make deductions and inferences and draw conclusions by using mathematical reasoning
- Use technology such as calculators and computers effectively and recognise when such use may be inappropriate
Students must have studied GCSE Mathematics to Higher level, and a grade A (7) or above is preferable although individual circumstances may be considered. They must study A level Mathematics as well.
Students will find this an excellent foundation for study of Mathematics at degree level and for the world of work, such as engineering.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Saltash.net Community School directly.