Sport (Performance and Excellence) BTEC Diploma Level 3 at Colchester Institute
This course will provide the opportunity to develop practical vocational skills, knowledge and understanding for work in the expanding area of sport, leisure and recreation. The opportunity may exist for awards and/or experience in related subjects such as the YMCA Assistant Fitness Instructor Award and the National Governing Body Coaching Awards. Additionally, there will be day trips. A variety of learning styles are developed; these include formal class learning, group work, presentation and individual tutorials relating to the assessment programme. Assessment will be continuous throughout the year.
Learners initially enrol on the course as a one year programme with the option to leave after successfully completing the first year. On completion of Year 1 students will normally progress onto Year 2.
Sport (Performance and Excellence) Diploma Core units include:
- Principles of Anatomy and Physiology in Sport
- The Physiology of Fitness
- Assessing Risk in Sport
- Fitness Training and Programming
- Fitness Testing for Sport and Exercise
- Sports Nutrition
- Psychology for Sports Performance
- Technical and Tactical Skills in Sport
- The Athlete’s Lifestyle
Specialist units include:
- Sports Coaching
- Practical Team Sports
- Current Issues in Sport
- Exercise, Health and Lifestyle
- Instructing Physical Activity and Exercise
- Sports Injuries
- Analysis of Sports Performance
- Talent Identification and Development in Sport
- Sport and Exercise Massage
- Rules, Regulations and Officiating in Sport
- Organising Sports Events
- Physical Education and the Care of Children and Young People
- Sport as a Business
- Work Experience in Sport
- Sports Facilities and Operational Management
- Profiling Sports Performance
- Research Investigation in Sport and Exercise Sciences
5 GCSEs (grades A*-C) including English and maths or equivalent, or satisfactory results in a relevant Level 2 qualification and appropriate English and maths qualifications, and an interview. A satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)* check will also be required.
* Please note there is a charge of £44 for a DBS check.
Careers in sport or related areas, such as coaching and teaching or progression to degree level in subjects such as sports therapy, coaching, physical education or teacher training.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Colchester Institute directly.