French A Level at Bridgwater College
Whether you choose the one year AS French or decide to go on and take the full A level over two years, you can look forward to a course which combines a really useful, practical skill with the opportunity to learn about French-speaking countries, travel and make contacts in France.
There are 300—500 million mother—tongue speakers of French worldwide. By studying AS and A2 French you will have the chance to find out for yourself about contemporary France and how the way of life compares with your own.
From the beginning you will have the opportunity to use the French you learned for GCSE. We always start by going right back to basics so you will have the chance to build your knowledge of French on a really firm foundation.
You will be encouraged to practise your language skills in the following ways:
- Using the computers in the Language Centre to watch live satellite TV
- Practise your grammar, writing, reading, translating and listening skills using the recommended web-sites on the computers
- Giving presentations and debating with other students in your class
- Using the language centre for independent study
- Reading “Phosphore” French language magazines
- Watching French films that can be borrowed from the College
- There is an annual trip to Paris to enable you tp practise your language skills and appreciate the culture.
Five GCSEs in the A* – C range, including Maths, English and French at grade C or above.
In the first few weeks we will assess your progress and give you individual targets to improve and ensure that you work with a study buddy to improve your language skills. Your teacher will discuss with you individually what you need to do to ensure you make maximum progress.
Listening, reading, writing and speaking examinations.
The large majority of our students go on to Higher Education, many study French combined with another subject. You might even decide to go, work and live in France or a French-speaking country to practise and improve your language skills.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Bridgwater College directly.