Creative Digital Media Production BTEC Level 2 at Shipley College
Are you creative? Interested in film, games, television and music? Develop the skills needed to succeed in this fast-paced and dynamic industry through a combination of research and practical projects.
You gain skills including animation, videography, and graphic production using industry standard software. Gain practical experience of work through developing posters and videos, and using social media to promote events in the local area. You may also go on trips to the National Media Museum to see creative media in action.
The course looks at interactive media practices such as project planning, researching, storyboarding and script writing to develop and structure ideas for various projects. You will be involved with developing digital graphics, video content and animation.
Throughout the course you will use industry standard software, such as the Adobe Suite, e.g. Photoshop and InDesign. You will also develop skills in various applications for interactive elements and video editing.
Units you may study include:
- Unit 1 - Digital Media Sectors and Audiences (Exam)
- Unit 2 - Planning and Pitching a Digital Media Product (Portfolio)
- Unit 3 - Digital Moving Image Production (Portfolio)
- Unit 4 - Digital Audio Production (Portfolio)
- Unit 8 - Media Industry in Context (Exam)
- Unit 9 - Digital Editing for Moving Image (Portfolio)
- Unit 11 - Animation for Digital Media
- Unit 12 - Digital Audio Editing (Portfolio)
- Unit 13 - Graphic Design for Digital Media (Portfolio)
You may also need to study GCSE or Functional Skills in English and maths. Improved English and maths grades will help to make students more employable and improve CVs or personal statements.
- 2 GCSEs at grade D (3) or above, including English
- a Level 1 at Pass grade, plus a GCSE grade D (3) in English.
- You will have an interview and further assessment to check the course is right for you.
- In addition, you will need to have a positive attitude and a keen interest in creative media production.
- You will also have the chance to attend ‘taster’ sessions to find out more about the course.
The majority of the work on this programme is portfolio based, including a range of practical and written assessments. There are, however, two exams that take place during January.
You will also take GCSE or functional skills English and maths depending on your grade profile. These will require learners to take end of year externally set tests.
Most students will not have to pay tuition fees. You will need a small amount of money for recommend textbooks and study materials, as well as a memory stick (minimum 2GB) or portable hard drive. You may also need to contribute towards the cost of trips to museums and industry shows.
On successful completion of the course, you may progress on to the Creative Digital Media Production BTEC Level 3, Digital Games or other Level 3 courses such as Art & Design, Business, Computing or an apprenticeship. You could also go in to employment in a junior position in this industry.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Shipley College directly.