English Language GCSE at St Vincent College
This course is suitable for level 3 students who wish to gain a Grade C or above, which is a requirement for University entry. Adult students can choose to pursue this course on a fast-track basis in dedicated groups.
Speaking and Listening
There are three assessed speaking and listening opportunities including a presentation and a group discussion.
Reading and Writing
Four pieces of work comprise this portfolio:
• Response to a prose text
• Two pieces of non-fiction creative writing
• A study of spoken language
Paper 1 Reading
Four questions on unseen non-fiction texts covering:
• Language choices
• Comparisons between texts
Paper 1 Writing
• Short written piece to describe or explain
• Longer written piece to argue or persuade
If your main programme of study is a Level 3, but you haven’t got a grade C for GCSE English Language
Assessed by a mixture of external examinations and coursework
• Speaking and Listening coursework: 20%
• Reading and Writing coursework: 40%
• Examinations: 40%
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Vincent College directly.