Design Technology (Product Design) A Level at Saltash.net Community School
Design is fundamentally concerned with solving practical problems that meet the needs of a specific individual or group of people. The subject’s appeal lies in its flexibility, allowing you to combine learning about design with personal interests and passions.
- Modern design strategies such as User Centred and Biomimetic design.
- A wide range of materials and processes, considering their working properties, economic benefits and sustainable credibility.
- A wide range of modelling strategies for communicating ideas, ranging from the traditional to 21st Century 3D techniques, including 3D CAD and 3D printing
You will learn to
- Appreciate the historical context of influential design and apply aspects of your findings to your own work.
- Be more confident when communicating your ideas using industry standard CAD skills as well as sketching and evaluative techniques.
- Develop project management skills through an iterative approach to developing prototype products.
- Work with outside agencies such as designers and industrialists.
At least a grade C GCSE in a design related subject
Year 12 - AS
- Unit 1 | Written Exam on Materials and Components | 2 Hours | 50% of total AS | 25% of total A Level
- Unit 2 | Coursework - Approximately 50 hours | 50% of total AS | 25% of total A Level
- Electronic design portfolio • Candidate record form and manufactured outcome(s)
Year 13 - A Level
- Unit 3 | Written Exam on Design and Manufacture | 2 hours | 50% of A level | 25% of total A Level marks
- Unit 4 | Coursework - Approx 60 hours | 50% of A level | 25% of the total A Level marks - Electronic design portfolio
- Candidate record form and manufactured outcome(s)
Design Technology A level students go on to successfully study art, science, design, engineering architecture. This year our students went on to study architecture and graphic design. Careers include Design Engineering, Product Designer, Retail design, Marine engineering, Graphic designer, Fashion design and designer-maker.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Saltash.net Community School directly.