BTEC Sport at High Storrs
Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Sport
This course is equivalent to one A Level
The content for this qualification has been developed in consultation with academics, employers and professional bodies. Students will study three mandatory units:
• Anatomy and physiology: students study how the skeletal, muscular, cardiovascular and respiratory systems function and the fundamentals of the energy systems.
• Fitness training and programming for health, sport and well-being: students explore client screening and lifestyle assessment, fitness training methods and fitness programming to support improvements in a client’s health and well-being.
• Professional development in the sports industry: students develop the knowledge and skills required for different career pathways in the sports industry. Students will create a personal skills audit, career action plan and practical interview assessment activities.
Students will study one of the following optional units (to be confirmed at the start of course):
• Sports leadership
• Application of fitness testing
• Sports psychology
• Practical sports performance
A minimum of five GCSEs at Grade 9 - 4. This MUST include at least a Grade 4 in English Language
Grade 4 in PE (if studied) OR BTEC Sport Level 2 Merit (if studied) OR Grade 4 in Biology
Unit 1 - Written Examination
Anatomy and physiology
Unit 2 - Controlled Synoptic Assessment
Fitness training and programming for health, sport and wellbeing
Unit 3 - Internal Coursework Assessment
Professional development in the sports industry
Unit 4 - Internal Coursework Assessment
The PE department provides opportunities to take part in various sporting fixtures each week as part of the Sixth Form programme. These will be extremely valuable in contributing to students learning experience and applying theoretical knowledge. We also offer numerous extra curricular clubs and teams in lower school that Sixth Form students will be able to help with e.g. school sports day, inter-house sport. In addition, High Storrs has a newly refurbished fitness suite open to students to use at their leisure and may be used to support BTEC Sport learning.
The qualification carries UCAS points and supports access to a range of higher education courses, enabling students to study sport in higher education. Such courses can include: Sport Studies and Business, Sport Psychology and Sport and Exercise Science.
Click on link for more information about entry to Sixth Form and BTEC Sport
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.