Design & Technology– Product Design at Herschel Grammar School
This subject considers the processes of designing, manufacturing and using a range of familiar products. Why are products designed? How are they made? What materials and processes are involved, and how are they used? Moral, cultural and environmental factors arising from making and using products are also considered. By choosing this subject, you will:
• Extend your understanding of Design & Technology with a product design focus.
• Carry out extensive research and gather information from a range of primary and secondary sources.
• Test a range of materials and match physical properties to applications.
• Investigate design opportunities using industry-standard computer aided design programmes.
• Study modern manufacturing processes and use computer numerically controlled machines to produce design solutions.
• Apply your knowledge of designing and making to achieve high quality coursework.
• Develop a greater awareness of the responsibilities that designers have to develop sustainable products.
Coursework involves completing a number of practical assignments which could lead to developing links with industry and drawing upon the experience of professional designers and manufacturers.
In addition to the general entry requirements for the HerschelConsortium, you will need at least a Grade B in one of the following: Product Design, Resistant Materials, Systems & Control, Graphic Products or Textiles Technology.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Herschel Grammar School directly.