German A Level at Adeyfield School
A Level German builds on and develops the language and skills studied at GCSE. There is a strong emphasis on increasing vocabulary and grammatical knowledge. You will gain greater confidence and the necessary skills to speak and write German at length with greater spontaneity as well as being able to understand a wide range of spoken and written German from a variety of sources including literature. It also provides opportunities to explore and understand the culture of Germany and other German speaking countries such as Austria.
Languages are very well regarded by both employers and universities. They add an important international dimension to your skills, increased employability and greater earning power. At university German can often be combined with other courses such as business and law.
In Year 12 students study a number of topics which are then further divided into sub topics. These include the following and cover a wide range of linguistic and cultural areas.
- Youth culture and concerns
- Lifestyle: health and fitness
- The world around us: travel, tourism, environmental issues and the German-speaking world.
- Education and employment.
Students will access and use a wide range of resources inclosing many taken from contemporary life in Germany and Austria. Not only will they gain a greater knowledge of the language and the culture but also what makes German and Austria the people and the countries that they are.
In Year 12 you will take exams based on 2 units in June:
- Unit 1 consists of a spoken expression and response in German. 8-10 minutes in two sections. 30% of the total AS and 15% of the total GCE.
- Unit 2 Understanding and written response in German. 2 hour and 30 minute paper in listening, reading and writing. 70% of the AS and 35% of the total GCE.
- A2 in Year 13 will then include 2 more units which focus on research and writing and additional speaking tasks.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Adeyfield School directly.