English Literature A Level at Lady Manners School
Paper One: Aspects of tragedy/comedy
- Three texts: Shakespeare - e.g. Othello/King Lear
- Drama Text - e.g. Death of a Salesman
- One futher text - pre 1900 – e.g. poetry of Keats
Paper Two: Texts and Genres Elements of crime writing / political and Social protest writing
- Post 2000 prose e.g. Kite Runner
- Poetry e.g. Blake (also pre 1900)
- One further text – e.g. The Handmaid’s Tale
Non Exam Component
Two essays of between 1500-2000 words each, based on the study of two separate texts: one poetry one prose and informed by the study of a critical anthology
GCSE grade 5 or higher in English Literature or English Language.
- Paper One: Closed book exam: 2hrs 30 minuntes 40% of A Level
- Paper Two: Texts and Genres 40% of A Level
- Non Exam Component: 20% of A Level
English Literature is a highly respected course which provides a good foundation for not only English courses at university, but also for other subjects within humanities.
It is a course which prepares students effectively for careers in education, law journalism and the media amongst others.
English Literature is listed by the Russell Group as a facilitating subject, which means it helps gain admission to a wide variety of competitive higher education courses.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Lady Manners School directly.