Animal Care Level 2 at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai
Would you like a career in animal care? Could you benefit from a practical Level 2 programme?
This programme is designed for students who want to work in the animal care sector. This includes working with companion animals, animal collections and animal charity organisations. The programme prepares you to start work in this area, or to progress onto vocational qualifications at an advanced level.
The programme is suitable for students progressing from a related Level 1 qualification, or from GCSEs. It is also ideal for adults, who may already be employed in this sector.
The programme will be delivered through a blend of the following:
- Practical work, with some classroom work to develop understanding
- The programme includes visits to animal establishments and working with different animal species
- Classroom tasks
- Field trips and excursions to broaden experience
You will study a variety of subject-specific modules, in addition to Literacy and Numeracy skills.
The Glynllifon site is 750 acres of farm and woodlands, with specialist animal care facilities.
- 2 GCSEs grade D or above in any subject or equivalent qualifications
- Suitability to the programme displayed in an interview with the programme tutor where your experience in the subject area, enthusiasm and willingness to learn will be considered.
- Level 1 Diploma in a relevant subject.
- Suitability to the course displayed in an interview with the course tutor where enthusiasm and willingness to learn will be considered.
- Evidence of basic skills ability that will enable the learner to independently cope with the academic requirements of a Level 2 vocational qualification. This evidence can be produced from either previous course work or from an aptitude test. This evidence will be assessed by a member of the College basic skills team.
All places are subject to satisfactory interview.
The programme is assessed through a blend of the following:
- Practical assessment for most units
- Written assignments to show your understanding
- Classroom tasks
Successful completion of the programme will give you a range of options. You will be able progress onto a number of Level 3 programmes, including:
- Animal Management Level 3, available at Glynllifon
- Veterinary Nursing Level 3, available at Glynllifon
You will also have enhanced your employment options, and will be able to discuss your career with your personal tutor or the careers guidance team. Additionally, if you have achieved three or more Merits and have GCSE English Language and two Sciences at grade C, you will have fulfilled the academic criteria for Veterinary Nursing.
- Animal Behaviourist
- Animal Nutritionist
- Animal Trainer
- Animal Welfare Officer
- Dog Groomer
- Dog Handler
- Kennels/Catteries Manager
- Public Services Officer (DEFRA)
- Veterinary Nurse
- Zoo & Wildlife Park Worker
Programme code: 0303B02B
This programme is available bilingually at the following campus(es):
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Grŵp Llandrillo Menai directly.