Film Studies A2 level at North Liverpool Academy
Film Studies A-level is a lively and academic subject that allows you to develop your enjoyment of films through learning about and applying some of the key critical and academic approaches to studying films. You will develop your skills in reading and analysing films, study how contemporary film industries operate and consider how film can be used as a medium for the communication of messages and to generate meanings for audiences.
- Block 1 Induction to the course: film language and key concepts
- Block 2 Micro analysis (coursework); British Horror (exam)
- Block 3 Creative project – storyboard (coursework); British Horror (exam)
- Block 4 Producers and Audiences (exam)
- Block 5 American Film (exam)
- Block 1 World Cinema: Urban stories – power, poverty and conflict (exam); Creative project – short film (coursework)
- Block 2 Spectatorship and Documentary (exam); Creative project – short film (coursework)
- Block 3 Spectatorship and Documentary (exam); Small research project (coursework)
- Block 4 Single Critical Study (exam); Small research project (coursework)
- Block 5 Single Critical Study (exam); revision of World Cinema and Documentary
5 GCSEs at A* to C with Grade C or above in GCSE English (grade B preferable), an interest in films and a willingness to carry out research and screenings in your own time.
End of year 12
At AS you will complete a coursework module (40%) and a two and a half hour examination.
End of year 13
In A2 you will complete a coursework module (40%) and a two and three quarter hour long examination.
Film Studies allows progression to a variety of general university courses, as well as film theory, media studies and film criticism. The analytical, communication and IT skills you will develop can lead to careers in journalism, advertising, media relations, personnel and marketing. There is a strong emphasis on analysis and research in this course which would benefit you on any future degree course.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact North Liverpool Academy directly.