Careers in Sport (Victoria Park) at Derby College
The Careers in Sport study programme is an active learning pathway aimed at those looking for a career within the sports and active leisure sector. The course is designed to enable either GCSE Maths or English to be studied at the same time to enable learners to progress to higher level programmes on completion of the course.
This one-year programme develops the skills required to study at a higher level and will challenge your organisational skills, time management and leadership qualities.
- Fitness for Sport and Exercise
- Practical Sports Performance
- The Mind and Sports Performance
- Sports Communication and Language
- The Sports Performer in Action
- Training for Personal Fitness
- Leading Sports Activities
- Maths for Fitness and Exercise
- Anatomy and Physiology
The course is designed for learners with mid-level GCSE grades. Grade profiles of C and D grades are most prevalent, with achievement at C grade or better in either Maths or English. Five GCSEs at C to D grades are required.
Candidates will be invited for an interview and screening test as part of the application process. You are welcome to attend the Sports Information Evenings held at the College throughout the year for further details.
It is essential that you show commitment to maintaining high standards of behaviour and attendance and to meeting deadlines.
Assessment methods will vary. You are expected to build a portfolio of evidence for each unit and assessments will include presentations, essays, workbooks, discussions, practical performance, viva, physical testing and externally set exam assessments. You are expected to meet deadlines and work on multiple tasks throughout the year. You should also maintain a high level of discipline, attendance and time keeping to successfully complete the full programme of study. Maths and English will be assessed through a controlled assessment or final exam.
- Diploma in Health, Fitness and Exercise Instruction
- Diploma in Promoting Health and Well Being
- Sports Coaching and Development
- Sports Science and Advanced Research
- Leadership and Security Skills for Public Services
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Derby College directly.