A Level History at Newquay Tretherras School
History at Newquay Tretherras will be undergoing changes from 2015, with a switch from the Edexcel Exam board, and on an accredited course which is outlined below. The course allows the study of a significant theme within History by studying the impact of Communism in two countries. In Year 13 the British study will explore the changing nature and impact of war on Britain. The coursework has yet to be confirmed but could allow students the freedom to look more in depth at one of the examined topics or choose another area of study.
1 Topics studied
Communist States in the Twentieth Century
Paper 1: Russia, 1917–91: from Lenin to Yeltsin
- Communist government in the USSR
- Industrial and agricultural change
- Control of the people
- Social developments
- What explains the fall of the USSR, c1985–91?
Paper 2: Mao’s China, 1949–76
- Establishing communist rule, 1949–57
- Agriculture and industry, 1949–65
- The Cultural Revolution and its aftermath, 1966–76
- Social and cultural changes, 1949–76
2 Topics studied
Paper 3: The British experience of warfare, c1790–1918
- Changes in organising the military
- Changes in the role of the people
- Britain and the French Wars, 1793–1815
- The Crimean War, 1854–56
- The second Boer War, 1899–1902
- Trench warfare on the Western Front, 1914–18
- The war in the air, 1914–18
Paper 1 and Paper 2 will be studied during year 12 as an AS or A level. The exam for AS will be taken at the end of Year 12.
Students that opt to follow AS History can still follow on to A Level if they wish.
Paper 3 and coursework will be followed in Year 13.
A Level students will have to sit ALL PAPERS at the end of Year 13.
AS students that carried on into A Level will also have to sit ALL PAPERS at the end of year 13.
Any previous AS mark awarded, DOES NOT contribute to the A Level grade.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Newquay Tretherras School directly.