Media Studies AS/A2 level at The Stourport High School and Sixth Form Centre
The Media Studies course offers you the opportunity to develop your analytical and creative skills. You are required to study every form of media from: newspapers, magazines (, Nuts, Zoo) , films etc. Students are also required to research independently and to gather their own specific case studies. Topics include: Gender, Ethnicity, Age, Issues, Events and Regional and National Identities.
A pre-production reflecting research and demonstrating planning techniques.
- A research investigation (1800 words)
- A production piece
- An evaluation (750 words).
AS Exam 50% (A2 25%):
You will take a written exam of 2 ½ hours. There are 3 compulsory questions, including one question on UNSEEN audio-visual or print based media.
A2 Exam 25%:
You will take a written exam of 2 ¾ hours. The focus of the exam will be on only three different industries. Students should have 3 texts for each industry. One must be BRITISH and the other two must be CONTEMPORARY.
Doing well in Film can lead you on the way to a career in the ever growing film industry as well gaining a deeper insight into movie history.
Universities have numerous courses in the film industry that can lead to a career in:
- Floor runner
- WJEC AS Media Studies: The Essential Introduction) 2011 Spec RRP: £19.99.
WJEC AS Media Studies: Study and revision Guide.RRP £14.99
- WJEC A2 Media Studies: The Essential Introduction 2010 Spec RRP: £21.99.
- WJEC A2 Media Studies: Study and revision Guide.RRP £16.99
- A digital camera 3.0mp or higher with the ability to record sound and moving images.
- DVD minus R discs to send off their coursework
- A Tripod
- Out of school access to a computer/laptop with movie and photo editing software.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Stourport High School and Sixth Form Centre directly.