Professional Cookery Diploma Level 2 at East Berkshire College
The hospitality industry is one of the largest industries in the country and is still expanding even through a recession. There is a shortage of skilled chefs in the industry.
If you are determined to work hard you will have a good opportunity to gain employment at the end of your programme.
The course is aimed at any individual who has an interest in cooking, employed or individuals wishing to re-train in the area of the Hospitality Industry and gain a recognised qualification.
To achieve the Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Professional Cookery candidates must attain a total of 58 credits.
This comprises of the mandatory units, totalling 13 credits and a minimum of 45 credits from the optional units Mandatory units include:
- Maintenance of a safe, hygienic and secure working environment
- Working effectively as part of a hospitality team
- Maintain food safety when storing, preparing and cooking food
- Maintain, handle and clean knives Optional units include: - Cook and finish basic fish dishes
- Cook and finish basic meat dishes
- Cook and finish basic poultry dishes
- Cook and finish basic vegetable dishes
- Prepare fish for basic dishes
- Prepare meat for basic dishes
- Prepare poultry for basic dishes
- Prepare vegetables for basic dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish basic soups Functional Skills is an integral part of the Course and you could study English & Maths
- Four GCSE grade D, to include English, Mathematics at Grade D or above as a minimum.
- Or a Diploma in Introduction to Professional Cookery Level 1 (C&G 7100) or GCSE C or above in Food Technology
- All applicants will be interviewed and need to have Passion & Motivation to enter this Professional Qualification You will need the appropriate uniform and equipment before you start in the Kitchen (uniform list will be provided what you need to purchase, cost approx £200)
Practical, Exams Written assignments Short answer tests
On completion of this qualification candidates may progress into employment/apprenticeship programme
Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Professional Cooking or Advanced Craft Level 3 Patisserie
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact East Berkshire College directly.