ICT at The Long Eaton School
KEY FEATURES OF THE COURSE:
- This is a modern course to equip students with a strong knowle dge base for a future career in the IT sector.
- The course has a mixture of Inte rnal and external assessment a nd provides excellent routes for University or jobs.
MODULES/UNITS CO VERED IN YEAR 12
Fundamentals of IT – A sound understanding of IT technologies and practices is essential for IT professionals. Information learn t in this unit will provide a s olid foundation in the fundamentals of hardware, networks, s oftware, the ethical use of computers and how business uses IT. After completing this unit, the knowledge, skills a nd understanding you have dev eloped will underpin your study for the additional units.
Global information - This unit will provide you with a greater understanding of how organisations use information sources both i nternally and externally and the types of information you will encounter. The skills gained by completing this unit will give you knowledge o f the functionality of i nformation and how data is stored and processed by o rganisations. You will also le arn about how individuals use information of various types. This unit will help you to understand the leg islation and regulation governing information that flows into and out of an or ganisation and the constraints and limitations that apply to it. You will also learn the relationship betwe en data and information.
MODULES/UNITS COVER ED IN YEAR 13
Cyber Security - This unit has been designed to e nable you to gain knowledge and understanding of the range of threats, vulnerabilities and risks that impact on both individuals and organisations. You will learn about the solutions that can be used to prevent or deal with cyber security incidents resulting from these challenges. You will be able to apply your knowledge and understanding of cyber securit y issues and solutions by reviewing and making recommendations for ways to best protec t digital systems and information.
Product Development - The key to any product dev elopment being a success is the analysis, client review, design, testing and final acceptance that takes place. The skills that you will learn can be applied to the development of any product, large or small. You will use product developmen t skills and work through the pr oduct development life cycle.
The Internet of Everything - This unit is about the use of the internet and how it is impacting people and society. You will learn about the In ternet of Everything (IoE) and how it is used. Using your knowledge you will carry out a f easibility study for a potential idea. You will pitch your idea to potential stakehold ers and use their feedback to revise your proposal.
TYPE OF ASSESSMENT IN YEAR 12
Unit 1 Fundamentals of IT
- 90 GLH 1 hour 30 minutes wri tten paper 80 marks OCR set and marked
- section A comprises multiple choice questions
- section B comprises short answer and extended response questions
Unit 2 Global information
- 90 GLH 1 hour 30 minutes written paper 80 marks OCR set and marked
- section A comprises short answer and extended response questions based on a pre-released case study. A new case study is released for each examination series and will include research prompts which learners will need to respond to prior to the external assessment
- section B comprises short answer and extended response questions. These questions will not relate to the pre-released case study
TYPE OF ASSESSMENT IN YEAR 13
Unit 3 Cyber security
- 60 GLH 1 hour written paper 60 marks OCR set and marked
- section A comprises short answer and extended response questions based on a pre-released case study. A new case study is released for each examination series and will focus on eit her a personal or a corporate perspective
- section B comprises short answer and extended response questions and will focus on the theme (i.e. personal or corporate) that is not covered in the pre- released case study.
Unit 9 Product development
- 60 GLH Internal assessment
- Internal assessment covering a range of learning aims
Unit 17 Internet of Everything
- 60 GLH Internal assessment
- Internal a ssessment covering a range of learning aims
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Long Eaton School directly.