Geography AS at Harris Academy Battersea
OCR’s AS Geography aims to encourage you to develop a range of essential skills for Higher Education and the world of work through content which is relevant to any citizen of the planet in the 21st century. Through exciting topics you will understand the nature of physical and human geography whilst unpicking the debates surrounding contemporary challenges facing the world today.
Enrichment opportunities include: Conferences with lectures and workshops, tutorials and drop-in sessions.
Students often study Geography alongside Science (because of the statistical and investigative nature of it), Psychology, history, Sociology, Economics.
As part of the course you will:
- Develop their knowledge of locations, places, processes and environments, at all geographical scales from local to global across the specification as a whole
- Develop their understanding of, and ability to apply, the concepts of place, space, scale and environment, that underpin both the national curriculum and GCSE, including developing a more nuanced understanding of these concepts
- Improve their understanding of the ways in which values, attitudes and circumstances have an impact on the relationships between people, place and environment, and develop the knowledge and ability to engage, as citizens, with the questions and issues arising
- Develop as critical and reflective learners, able to articulate opinions, suggest relevant new ideas and provide evidenced argument in a range of situations.
Students must have a B grade in English Language/Literature and preferably a grade B at Geography GCSE and a grade B in Science.
Examination Board: OCR
- For AS level, there are two examinations: Landscape & Place and Geographical Debates
- Students will also complete an investigation in year 12.
You can progress to higher education courses such as honours degrees in Geography, or to degrees in related subjects such as Politics, the Sciences, Economics or Geography. Geography is a highly rated degree by universities.
The skills you will obtain through studying geography will enable you access a range of careers, such as environmental scientist, lawyer, city planner, journalist, development officer, researcher.
What our students say:
“Studying Geography has given me an understanding of the world that I never thought about before.”
“I think a lot more about what’s going around me now, especially about how cultures and society changes within the city.”
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Harris Academy Battersea directly.