3D Animation and Games Development Level 3 at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai
Is this course right for me?
Would like a challenging career in the games and new media industry?
Are you looking to develop valuable IT skills and progress to university?
This course gives you practical knowledge in a range of areas, and introduces tools and techniques used in the media industry. You will focus on 3D design and games, but the skills you develop will be applicable to a wide variety of media careers.
The course is ideal if you are hoping to progress onto a university course in gaming, media, graphic design, computing, IT or computer science. It also prepares you for a career in the media industry, letting you experience professional software and methods. You will develop important business skills, such as managing projects, working with a client, completing freelance jobs and utilising portfolios. Portfolios are essential in the media industry, and you will be able to display all your work when you are looking for freelance jobs or professional positions.
The programme will be delivered through a blend of the following:
- Workshop sessions
- Hands-on learning
- Virtual learning environment (MOODLE)
- You will study in one of the three games development rooms at the college, using specialist hardware and industry standard software. The software available will include: Photoshop CS4, Flash CS4, Dreamweaver CS4, Audacity, Adobe Audition, 3DS Max, Multimedia Fusion 2 and Unity Game Engine. You will be able to produce 2D games, 3D Models and Environments, Flash online games, 3D and 2D animations, game design documents, industry standard scripts, game packaging, digital images and digital sound.
- 5 GCSEs at grade C or above; or
- Relevant Level 2 qualification at Merit grade
- Places on the programme are subject to interview
The programme will be assessed through a blend of the following:
- Portfolio based assessment
- Practical observed work
- Reflective writing
Completion of this course gives you a number of options for progression. The course provides an ideal route to Higher Education, and you could study gaming, media, graphic design, IT, computer science or another related subject.
You could proceed onto a number of programmes at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai, including:
- Foundation Degree (FdSc) 3D Animation and Games Development, available at Rhos-on-Sea
- Foundation Degree (FdA) Broadcast Media Production, available at Rhos-on-Sea
- Foundation Degree (FdA) Creative Technology and Digital Media, available at Bangor and Llangefni
If you choose not to take a Higher Education course, you will find that your skills have applications in many areas apart from gaming. You could gain employment within the games, new media and computing sectors, utilising your skills, knowledge and portfolio to find full-time or freelance work.
- 3D Modeller
- Audio Editor
- Broadcast Researcher
- Camera Operator
- Computer Games Developer
- Production Assistant
- Production Manager
- Programme Producer
- Video Editor
Programme code: 0903A03B
Depending on the campus, students may be able to access elements of the programme in both English and Welsh through some programme learning materials being made available bilingually. Details will be provided to you at interview.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Grŵp Llandrillo Menai directly.