Health and Social Care Level 3 at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai
Would you like a career in health and social care? This course provides an advanced level qualification, delivered by experienced professionals. It aims to develop your knowledge and skills, preparing you to progress into Higher Education or into the health or social care sector. It provides a practical programme of study, focusing on the needs of real job roles and situations.
The course is suitable if you are progressing from a related Level 2 course or from suitable GCSE attainment. You may have specific career goals, or you may be looking for a stepping stone to a range of options. After completing the course, you will be able to work in a number of roles, including support and sessional work across the care sector. You will also be prepared for Higher Education, and eventual careers including nursing, social work and residential.
The programme will be delivered through a blend of the following:
- Practical workshops
- Study in a realistic working environment
- Self-directed study
- Group work
- Work placement
- Level 2 qualification with high Merit and GCSE English or Welsh first language at C or above, or,
- Five GCSEs at Grade C or above to include English or Welsh first language (it is preferable to achieve C or above in Maths, and increasingly Science at C or above is required for future progression)
- For those wishing to progress to Primary Teacher Training please be aware that universities will require English, Maths and Science at Grade C, and preference may be given to applicants with higher than a Grade C. (You may need these qualifications on application, which would mean re-sitting any relevant GCSE alongside your first year of study on this course.)
- For those wanting to study Secondary Teacher Training, Social Work, Midwifery, Nursing, and many other degree-level courses, please be aware that there are similar requirements.
- Applicants with relevant experience are welcome to apply
- You must possess the right personal attributes to work with vulnerable adults, young people or children
- It is necessary to clear all students under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act via a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) through an application form (issued to you before your interview with explanatory notes). You will be expected to complete and return the DBS application form during the interview process. The charge for the DBS check is currently £44
- Learners will also be required to purchase a college T shirt for work placement, with the option to buy a sweatshirt in addition.
All places are subject to satisfactory interview.
The programme will be assessed through a blend of the following:
- Practical and written assessments/assignments
- Presentations and demonstrations
- Portfolios of work
- Performance and observation
Completion of this course gives you a range of options in education and employment. The qualification carries up to 420 UCAS points (if a D*D*D* grade is achieved), with a further 120 points available from the Advanced Level Welsh Baccalaureate (campus dependent). You may also be able to study some Essential Skills qualifications which can carry additional UCAS points. As such, the course will allow you to progress onto a range of Higher Education courses at many institutions.
At Grŵp Llandrillo Menai, you could progress onto a number of programmes, including:
- Foundation Degree Health and Social Care, available at Dolgellau and Rhos-on-Sea
- Foundation Degree (FdA) Assistive Technologies: Promoting Independence, available at Rhos-on-Sea
The course also improves your employability and gives you important knowledge and skills. It will prepare you for a career in any health and social care area, either directly or after further study. These include paediatric nursing, adult nursing, mental health nursing, midwifery, occupational therapy, social policy, radiography, childhood studies, physiotherapy, chiropody/podiatry, psychology, sociology, criminology, holistic therapies and operating practice.Career opportunities
- Nursery Worker
- Occupational Therapist
- Social Worker
- Speech & Language Therapist
Programme code: 0103A03B
This programme is available bilingually at the following campus(es):
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Grŵp Llandrillo Menai directly.